Starting a Business: Step 5

Business Licenses & Permits



Operators of restaurants, bakeries, car rental companies, hotels, and other companies are required by RSA 78:A to obtain a license to collect the state’s 9% Meals & Rentals tax. For more details visit the Department of Revenue.

If you are starting a food and/or beverage service, contact the Health and Human Services—Food Protection, 29 Hazen Dr., Concord, NH 03301. 603-271-4589.

For a list of licensed occupations in New Hampshire contact the Economic and Labor Market Information Bureau, New Hampshire Employment Security, 32 South Main Street Concord, NH 03301. (603) 228-4124. Fax (603)228-4172. TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964.

If you need assistance with environmental permits, contact the Department of Environmental Services at (603) 271-3503, TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964. You can review their online guidebook.

  • If your business is planning new projects for which multiple environmental permits are required, you can request a pre-application meeting by filling out the online form.




For more information on permitting at the local level, contact Town Manager Joseph Ilsley at (603) 895-7007 or